This project site provides an online resource for all the Museum Metadata Exchange (MME) project stakeholders to contribute updates and content, find information and provide feedback to through comments. The stakeholders for the Museum Exchange project are broadly: the museum sector, the research sector, particularly HASS (Humanities, Arts and Social Science) researchers interested in using cultural and historical collection material from museums in their research. Through the project updates about what is happening will be posted into the site by the project team and resources generated for the museum community will be made available relating to the development of collection level description.
Practitioner contribution from participating museums will be actively sought. Project blog posts from participants in the Council of Australasian Museum member organisations and the NF&SA actively contributing to the project or making connections and observations as the project progresses are welcomed. Opportunities wherever available for shared learning to aid the project itself and in the interests of the wider museum, collecting and research communities in support of the project are valued contributions.
Topics already mooted for blog posts are:
- introductions of key participants, i.e. project team and site coordinators
- thoughts about the application of the Powerhouse Museum Object Name Thesaurus to cultural and historical collection material
- observations about the role of object based research drawing upon cultural and historical collections
Other topics could be:
- how data is captured and made available from museum collection information systems online
- what other vocabularies could be commonly used to provide access to museum cultural and historical collections, e.g. Australian Pictorial Thesaurus, Schools Online Thesaurus, Art & Architecture Thesaurus Online (Getty), Library of Congress Subject Headings (FAST)