A new photo from the Powerhouse Museum every day
This image shows stage two of the development of the construction of the Powerhouse Museum. The Ultimo Power Station was built in 1899-1902 to provide power for Sydney’s new electric tram system, but the last tram stopped in 1961 and the building lay derelict and unloved until 1979 when the NSW government announced that the Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences would move to the power station site. The Museum needed to house enormous objects like the Catalina flying boat
and the Boulton & Watt steam engine, as well as delicate lace and precious ceramics. Government architect Lionel Glendenning redesigned the old interior spaces and added a new building that was opened in 1988. It was inspired by the grand railway stations and exhibition halls of the 19th century.
As the Museum continues to redevelop we are celebrating 25 years this weekend with our Weekend of wonder.