A new photo from the Powerhouse Museum every day
This image from the Clyde Engineering Photograph Collection shows a cement kiln at the Clyde Engineering works. Almost all of the glass plate negatives in the Clyde photograph collection were taken at the Clyde works in Granville. Some photographs date back to the 1880s but most were taken between 1898 and 1945.
Clyde Engineering were a heavy engineering shop which manufactured a wide range of machinery, railway rolling stock and prefabricated steel work for the northern approach the Sydney Harbour Bridge. During the Second World War it was an integral part of ‘Workshop Australia’. In this period Clyde Engineering took on a new field, the repair of Hudson and Wirraway aircraft. In addition it provided munitions; 25-pounder field gun parts; locomotives and rolling stock to the war effort.
A cement kiln is a large rotating cylinder which heats and mixes the raw materials of cement. In this photo the steel kiln itself is new, clean and ready for service. The image gives a sense of the scale of the operations at Clyde Engineering and the heavy industry it supported in Australia.
Post by Lynne McNairn, Digital Services
Photography from Clyde Engineering Photograph Collection
No known copyright restrictions