photos and stories from the Powerhouse Museum
This is an early view of the Cooerwull Mill built in 1837. It was the first factory to operate in the Lithgow District and started life as a water driven flour before being converted to a steam driven mill in 1858. This conversion was supervised by Andrew Brown, one of the pioneers of Lithgow’s coal and iron industry. The mill was run using nearby coal deposits and in this image we can see the steam and smoke coming from the condensing engines which ran the factory’s ten looms.
Bob McKillop, Furnace Fire and Forge, 2006
No known copyright restrictions