photos and stories from the Powerhouse Museum
This reproduction from a glass plate negative was published by the Sydney firm Charles Kerry & Co. and is part of the Powerhouse Museum’s Tyrrell collection which contains over 2,900 glass plate negatives by Kerry & Co. The Hornby Lighthouse, erected in 1858, was located at South Head in Sydney and was built by public demand after the shipwrecks of the Dunbar and the Catherine Adamson. According to lighthouse.net.au:
Seventy years after the arrival of the First Fleet it was the third lighthouse to be built, after Macquarie and Nobbys Head, within what is now the current boundaries of New South Wales. Others had been built at Cape Bruny (Tasmania) 1838, Swan Island (Tasmania) 1845, Goose Island (Tasmania) 1846 and Cape Otway (Victoria) 1848.
The light was opened by Sir William Denison, Governor of New South Wales, in 1858.
Photography by Kerry and Co.
No known copyright restrictions