photos and stories from the Powerhouse Museum
This rare photograph shows the prototype of the first mechanical heart being donated to the SmithsonianMuseumin theUnited States. Announced to the world in 1952 this Dodrill DMR Mechanical Heart was the first to be used successfully on human patients. The mechanical heart is used to pump blood from either one side of the heart or the other to allow the blood to by-pass the valve the surgeons are operating on.
On the left is F. D. Dodrill ofDetroit’sHarperHospitalwho led the medical team. hat developed the heart. Included in the photograph are Dr Leonard Carmichael and C. L. McCuen who also worked on the project team that included engineers from General Motors Research Lab.
Geoff Barker, 2012