A new photo from the Powerhouse Museum every day
Tooth & Co operated the Kent Brewery on Sydney’s Broadway for almost 150 years from 1835 until 1983. Clydesdale horses were the main delivery system for beer supplies to the pubs of Sydney until about the 1920s when they were gradually replaced by motor lorries.
This photograph from the Powerhouse Museum collection dates from about 1910 and shows a fit looking Clydesdale with his ears pricked harnessed to a wagon loaded with wooden kegs. The brewery can be seen in the background.
A single horse with a small wagon would have been used to navigate the many narrow lanes of Sydney at the time. No doubt the clip clop sound of the brewery horse’s hooves was a very welcome sound to the punters as the horse and driver made their rounds.
Photographer unknown, c 1910 (86/3259-1)
No known copyright restrictions
Post by Lynne McNairn