A new photo from the Powerhouse Museum every day
The Great Zig Zag carried the Great Western Railway down the western flank of the Blue Mountains west of Sydney over three sandstone viaducts and through two tunnels. It was opened in 1869 and operated until 1910 when it was replaced by a ten-tunnel deviation. It reopened in 1975 as a narrow-gauge tourist railway.
This image shows the three elegant viaducts, extensive earthworks and the rugged sandstone escarpment which made the Zig Zag Railway an engineering marvel of its day.
This glass plate negative is one of 2900 Kerry & Co. photographs in the Powerhouse Museum’s ‘Tyrrell Collection’ once owned by Sydney bookseller, James Tyrrell.
Reference: On the move: a history of transport in Australia by Margaret Simpson, Powerhouse Publishing, 2004.
Post by Lynne McNairn
Photography by Kerry & Co.
No known copyright restrictions