Black and white photograph showing a train of camels moving from the left to the right of the image in the snow. The camel train crosses in front of the outer city wall. A corner tower is positioned at the centre of the image and trees frame the foreground. The ground is covered in snow.
This is the north-west city corner watchtower. It was the last remaining corner tower and was demolished in 1968. The camels in the foreground are taking coal from mines in the Western Hills to Peking. Coal was the main domestic fuel source, and camel trains weaving their way through Peking were a familiar sight during the 1930s and 1940s. The north-west corner tower was constructed in 1553. It was originally located to the east of the northern end of the current North Binhe Road.
This is one of a large number of photographs that were taken by Hedda Morrison (1908-1991) during her years of residence in Peking (Beijing), China 1933-1946.
Exhibited in 'Peking: 1933-1946 - A photographic impression', Menzies Library, Australian National University, 17-30 June 1967. Reproduced in Hedda Morrison, 'A photographer in Old Peking', Hong Kong, Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 1985, p. 21, with the caption: 'A corner of the Chinese City wall.'
Gift of Mr Alastair Morrison, 1992