Clyde Engineering Collection Highlights
Engraving of Clyde Engineering Works, Clyde Sydney
Almost all of the glass plate negatives in the Clyde photographic collection were taken at the Clyde works in Granville, and depict both the workers and the machinery they manufactured. Subjects covered include: railway locomotives and rolling stock, agricultural equipment, large engineering projects funded by Australian State and Federal governments, airplane maintenance and construction and Clyde's contribution to the First and Second World Wars. Some of the photographs date back to the 1880s but most were taken between 1898 and 1945.
The origins of the collection can be dated back to 1855 when William Henry Hudson set up the firm of Hudson Brothers in a small shop in Redfern, Sydney. Initially the company specialised in woodworking and the first major contracts undertaken by the Hudson Brothers included woodwork for the Great Hall at Sydney University and building the Sydney Garden Palace in 1879.
In 1876 Hudson Brothers won a lucrative contract to build rolling stock for the New South Wales Government and as a result the business began to move toward metalwork rather than woodwork. Hudson's business was a success and twenty-five years later had expanded to such a degree that a new workshop was needed to accommodate staff and equipment. In 1881 Hudson Brothers moved onto two hundred acres of land at Granville in the Western suburbs of Sydney and the new factory opened two years later in July 1883.
Unfortunately the recession of the 1890s hit Hudson Brothers hard and by 1898 it was forced into receivership. It was then that the newly formed Clyde Engineering Company took over the Hudson Brothers although William Hudson remained a board member and motivating force behind Clyde Engineering. Given the chain of events which saw the new company arise from the old Hudson Brothers it is not surprising to find the company adopted a phoenix as its logo. The choice was apt for the new company did rise out of the ashes of the old and by 1950 Clyde Engineering had become the largest engineering enterprise in New South Wales.
In 1901, soon after it had become Clyde Engineering Ltd, the company began making carriages for the Federal Government and in 1903 began making carriages for the West Australian Government. In 1905 Clyde won a major contract with the New South Wales State Government to make railway locomotives.
Clyde Engineering was a large operation and was able to get contract work on some of the major New South Wales and other State Governments' projects including work on the Hawkesbury Bridge and the northern approach to the Sydney Harbour Bridge. In 1932 the company also provided steel work for the Clarence River Bridge at Grafton and the Manning River Bridge at Taree.
Clyde Engineering also made agricultural equipment for many parts of New South Wales, continuing the work of Hudson Brothers who began to manufacture windmills and ploughs made to their own unique designs in 1884.
During the Second World War it was an integral part of 'Workshop Australia' and provided 25-pounder field gun parts, did aircraft repairs and supplied locomotives and rolling stock. At its peak during the war, Clyde employed 2,200 workers.
This collection of photographs is an archive of national significance due to its unique relationship to the industrial technology, engineering and commerce of New South Wales. Few collections of photographs in Australia have survived which cover one company's activities from the 1880s through to the 1950s in such depth.
The photographs are also significant in their illustration of the important contribution made by Clyde Engineering to the social fabric of New South Wales. By 1923 Clyde had 2,200 employees working around the clock on eight-hour shifts. Some of these lived in houses specially built by the company in Granville and the works had its own fire brigade, ambulance service, gun club and was home to Australia's first soccer club.
Geoff Barker, December 2007
Murray, J., Phoenix to the World; the Story of Clyde Industries and Sir Raymond Purves, CBE, Playright Publishing Pty Ltd., 1992
The Clyde Engineering Company Limited, Visit to Clyde Works of the delegates of Chambers of Commerce of the British Empire, 21 September 1909, Cumberland Argus Printing Works, 1909?
Australian Railway Historical Society, New South Wales Division, Steam Locomotives Built by the Clyde Engineering Co. Pty. Ltd., Granville, Australia, Australian Railway Historical Society, New South Wales, date unknown
Object viewed times
Images on this site are reproduced for the purposes of research and study only. Whilst every effort has been made to trace the Copyright holders, we would be grateful for any information concerning
Copyright of the images and we will withdraw them immediately on Copyright holder's request.