Poster, 'Can it be recycled?', laminated paper, Green Games, Sydney 2000 Olympic and Paralympic Games, made for SOCOG c.2000
This laminated poster was designed to instruct on the separation of general, recyclable and biodegradable waste at the Sydney 2000 Games. It features images of the four recycling labels that augmented the Sydney 2000 Integrated Waste Management Solution (2001/84/528 - 531), and itemises common forms of recyclable and general waste. The poster is a valuable supplement to the objects associated with the Sydney 2000 Integrated Waste Management Solution. Furthermore, it reflects the environmental programmes, objects and ephemera that arose from SOCOG's 'Green Games'.
From 1995, SOCOG developed an ambitious environmental agenda to recycle and compost up to 80 per cent of all waste arising from the Sydney 2000 Games. (The remaining 20 per cent would be destined for landfill.) This agenda, called The Sydney 2000 Integrated Waste Management Solution, was part of Sydney's promise to deliver the first eco-friendly Olympic Games.
The Sydney 2000 Integrated Waste Management Solution was an holistic approach to waste management. Disposable products, ranging from food packaging to building materials, would be recyclable or bio-degradable, and waste management stations (three large, colour- coded bins for the collection of biodegradable and recyclable material) would be installed for public use at all Olympic venues. From here, refuse would be taken to extensive bio-waste facilities or to recycling centres built especially for the Games.
Around 5000 tonnes of waste passed through the Sydney's Auburn Waste Transfer Station during each week of the Sydney 2000 Games. Recyclable material was then transferred to a waste management centre at Narellan, and compostable material was sent to a second centre at Eastern Creek. The Eastern Creek Waste Management Centre processed an up to 60 tonnes of compost material during each day of the Games. This material was combined with shredded green waste, turned and watered regularly, and left until May 2001 to ferment. It was then screened for non-degradable material, and prepared for sale at horticultural markets in Sydney.
Four Australian companies - Visy, Cleanevent, Pacific Waste Management, and Waste Services New South Wales - were the official waste management sponsors and providers at the Sydney 2000 Games. This alliance cleared bins, cleaned Olympic venues, and sorted and delivered waste to transfer stations. In part, its success was due to the easy interpretation of waste management stations, which were simply colour-coded bins and instructional notices and labels.
Designed by Green Games coordinators
Made for SOCOG for use at the Sydney 2000 Games
Made for and owned by the Olympic Coordination Authority/Sydney Organising Committee for the Olympic Games, and donated to the Powerhouse Museum after use in the Games.