Boot, Mukluk, rubber/nylon, used during the Australia New Zealand Antarctic Research Expedition, Antarctica, 1966
This object was donated by Peter G Towson, geophysicist and one of 26 expeditioners forming the winter party to the Australia New Zealand Antarctic Research Expeditions (ANARE) Mawson station in 1966. The scientific program included biology, oceanography, geophysics, glaciology, meteorology and upper atmosphere physics.
Established in 1954, Mawson station is Australia's first permanent station on the Antarctic continent. The site was selected by Phillip Law, Director of the Antarctic Division from 1949-1966, who named the station after Sir Douglas Mawson, Antarctic explorer and a member of the Executive Planning Committee.
Conditions on Antarctica are physically demanding, with temperatures at Mawson at times plummeting to below -30 degrees celcius and wind-speeds reach over 180 km/hr. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential in facing severe Antarctic conditions, in particular the outer protective layer which protects the wearer from wind chill.
Part of a complete set of outer-clothing issued to scientists on the 1966 Mason expedition, this object reflects some of the equipment necessary to survive and work in the harsh climactic conditions of Antarctica. In addition it forms part of a collection that signifies Australia's immense contribution to exploration and scientific research of the Antarctic region.
Australian Government Antarctic Division, http://www.aad.gov.au
Haywood, Elizabeth, 'Australian Antarctica: Celebrating fifty years of Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions', Australia Post, 1997
This object constitutes part of a complete set of outer clothing issued to scientists on the Australian National Antarctic Research Expedition at Mawson Base, Antarctica in 1966. It was donated to the Museum in 1985 by Dr Peter Towson, geophysicist to the research party.