Saucer, willy-wag tail design, porcelain, painted by Reginald Austin, made by Royal Worcester Porcelain Co Ltd, England, 1914
In 1953, Sydney collector, Annie Maria Gillies, bequeathed around 100 decorative art objects to the Vaucluse Park Trust, which later became part of the Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales. In 1998, the Trust transferred this collection to the Powerhouse Museum.
The greater part of this collection consists of around 80 examples of English porcelain dating from the mid eighteenth to the early nineteenth century. These items represent the strength of the English porcelain industry, including the vast market for objects with rococo and neoclassical motifs as well as Asian-inspired designs and forms. Worcester, Chelsea, Derby, Bow and Spode were some of the largest and most successful factories operating in England at this time, and their work is well-represented in this collection.
Established in 1851, Royal Worcester has a long and reputable history in manufacturing fine porcelain. This plate was hand-painted by Reginald Austin, who worked for Royal Worcester from around 1910 to 1930 specialising in the painting of birds, fruit and flora.
Part of the Annie Marie Gillies collection transferred from the Historic Houses Trust in 1998.