Powerhouse Museum Collection Search 2.53
Category history:
   

Support the Powerhouse with a tax-deductible gift

Make a donation
Simplex projector head assembly used in Australian cinema, 1925 - 1955
zoom image
Images: 01 02

Object statement
Projector, Simplex projector head assembly and parts, metal / glass / plastic, designed and made by The Precision Machine Co, New York, United States of America, 1925-1955
The Simplex projector was designed with extraordinarily high tolerance on parts - up to ten - thousandths of an inch on critical components. This and other innovations led to its commercial success and adoption as the industry standard projector by the late 1920s. The design of the Simplex projector underwent modifications and developments over forty years of production however in this time it retained much of what had made it such a successful design.

This particular projector head assembly was collected by the donor sometime after its decommission. It may have been used at the St. James Theatre where other Simplex parts in this collection originate from. If that is the case then it may have been in use from around 1925 until the late 1950s.
Due to extraordinary tolerances in the design and machining of critical parts for the Simplex projector it became the industry standard in a short time. This machine with the spring arrangement on the lens mount was produced from 1919.
Collected by Robert James Lucas. Possibly retained after removal from St. James theatre, Sydney in late 1950s. Retained by the Lucas family until its donation.

 This text content licensed under CC BY-NC.

Description
Projector, Simplex projector head assembly and parts, metal / glass / plastic, designed and made by The Precision Machine Co, New York, United States of America, 1925-1955

Simplex 35mm projector head assembly with Westrex shutter blade assembly.

Small collection of 7 tagged used parts removed from working St. James Theatre projectors around 1956.

Spare or used film advance mechanism from Simplex projector head assembly in shipping crate.
Upper film reel holder for mounting on top of Simplex head.
Made: 1925 - 1955
2007/191/6
Production date
1925 - 1955

 This text content licensed under CC BY-SA.
Acquisition credit line
Gift of the Lucas family, 2007
Subjects
+ Cinema
+ Popular culture
+ St James Cinema
Short persistent URL
Concise link back to this object: http://from.ph/356438
Cite this object in Wikipedia
Copy and paste this wiki-markup:

{{cite web |url=http://from.ph/356438 |title=Simplex projector head assembly used in Australian cinema |author=Powerhouse Museum |accessdate=29 July 2014 |publisher=Powerhouse Museum, Australia}}


Copyright
Images on this site are reproduced for the purposes of research and study only. Whilst every effort has been made to trace the Copyright holders, we would be grateful for any information concerning Copyright of the images and we will withdraw them immediately on Copyright holder's request.
Object viewed 926 times. Parent IRN: 2101. Master IRN: 2101 Img: 196208 Flv: H:2168px W:1832px SMO:0 RIGHTS:.