Alternating current stabiliser, metal / plastic / glass, made by H Tinsley & Co Ltd, London, England, c. 1948-1970, used by Defence Standards Laboratory, Adelaide, South Australia, c. 1950-1977, and CSIRO, Woodville North, South Australia, c. 1977-1990
The unit is encased in a grey metal box with light grey metal face. Chromed metal carry handles are mounted to the face at the middle of the left and right edges.
A glass fronted meter indicates the output voltage from 0-15 volts, a dial to adjust the output voltage, and a switch to select 2 or 4 amps output. There is a recessed three (round) pin plug for the mains input power and an Australian standard 3-pin socket for the output power. On/off switches labelled 'MAINS' and 'STABILISER'. Three coloured [plastic] covered indicator lights from the left, 'PILOT', 'LOW', 'HIGH'. The low and high lights indicate the output volt range. Four tunable pots are labelled 5 AMP, 2 AMP, 500 mA and 350 mA.
Engraved into the middle of metal surface of the instrument in black is:
DR G.N. PATCHETT'S DESIGN
TYPE 5105 B
PAT No 814883'
Engraved or printed along the bottom edge of metal surface of the instrument in black is:
'No 147,501 H. TINSLEY & Co Ltd LONDON S.E. 25 SWITCH PAT No 616684'
Metal sticker attached to side of wooden box;
'THIS EQUIPMENT IS THE PROPERTY OF
COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA
This label is engraved with a series of five numbers (mostly obscured by the CSIRO sticker) which appears to read
Over this metal sticker is a white paper label typed
On the side of the stabiliser is a Richard Mitchell Removals sticker (blue writing on white background)
'RICHARD MITCHELL REMOVALS
Lot No. Item No.'