Steam pump, two-cylinder vertical ram with flywheel, metal, made by Joseph Evans & Sons, Wolverhampton, England, 1890-1930
Two steam cylinders, approximately 6 inch stroke and 6 inch bore, are supported on columns, between which sits the flywheel, which is connected to each piston rod via a crankshaft and Scotch yoke. The steam valves operate off the crankshaft. The two pumping rams sit on the base directly below the cylinders and outside the columns, which contain the pump valves in their bases. Water inlet and discharge ports are both on the same side of the pump, which was designed to be used in a range of configurations; the alternate ports are blanked off. There are traces of red and green paint on the flywheel.
A plate on one of the cylinders bears the words 'The ram steam pump, sole makers Jos Evans & Sons, Wolverhampton'.
The number 7 is cast into one of the cylinders.
Each of the columns has the company's logo, a lion rampant, cast into it in two places.
Catalogue number 71, from the 1986 sale of Frank Baldwin's collection, is painted on each cylinder in white.