Teaspoons , Stirling silver, perhaps owned by Phillip Parker King, King family donation, maker unknown, London, England, 1826
These teaspoons appear to have once been the property of either Admiral Phillip Parker King, or his son Philip Gidley King (Jnr.) This piece of silverware is part of a donation which contains no complete set of tableware and covers nearly 100 years suggesting they were owned by a number of different members of the King family.
The early tableware exhibits the more restrained neo-classical and regency styles while the later is characterised by the more curved forms and elaborate design of the rococo-revival period.
Geoff Barker, Curatorial, December 2009
'King, Phillip Parker (1791 - 1856)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 2, Melbourne University Press, 1967
This object came to the museum in 1963 as a part of a collection of objects donated by relatives of Governor Philip Gidley King and Rear-Admiral P. P. King. The other objects include an assortment of cutlery and tableware, some navigational instruments and a hankerchief produced between the 1750s and the 1850s.