Sailing ship model, the 5 masted square rigged "Preussen", built in 1902. 36" long, 22 1/2" high.(SB).
The " Preussen" was the second 5 master sailing ship built (1902) and was acclaimed as the fastest sailing ship of her time after the clipper ships. Due to her appearance,uniqueness, and excellent sailing characteristics, she was known as the "Queen of the Queens of the Seas ".
The "Preussen" was built at the Joh. C. Tecklenborg ship yard in Geestwmunde, launched and commissioned in 1902, for the Laeisz Brothers. The ship was built of steel, displacement of 11,150 tons for an effective carrying capacity of 8000 tons. The 5 masts were fully rigged ,with courses, upper and lower topsails, upper and lower topgallant sails, and royals, with a total sail area of 6806 sq. m. The " Pruessen" was the second 5 master built ,the first being the "France" of 6500 tons in 1895. The 'Preussen" was a very sturdy ship and could even tackle Force 9 winds. . In such conditions, it took 8 men to hold the 2 metre tall double steering wheel. Due to her appearance ,uniqueness and excellent sailing characteristics she was known as the "Queen of the Queens of the Seas ". Primarily used in the nitrate trade, in 1903 she sailed an unequalled record voyage from Lizard Point to Iquique in 57 days. Under good conditions ,the ship could reach a speed of 20 knots; she was certainly considered the fastest sailing ship of her era ,after the clippers.
On November 6th, 1910, carrying a mixed cargo bound for Chile, the "Preussen" was rammed in the English Channel by the small Newhaven-Dieppe cross-channel steamer "Brighton". The "Preussen" was seriosly damaged forrard ,but intact below the water-line. However the damage made her impossible to steer so she was anchored off Dungeness, but both anchor chains parted in an increasing gale force wind. . Two assisting tugs attempted to get her into Dover Harbour but were unable to hold her, such that she ran aground at Crab Bay. With the keel broken ,she became a total wreck.
Hurtado, V. M., Nuestro Mar Magazine, " Famous Ships in Valparaiso", No. 127, 28th April, 1994.