Ship model, four masted barque, 'Queen Margaret', wood / fabric, made by Captain J Pugh, Manly, Australia, 1936
The 'Queen Margaret' is an example of a four-masted barque which plied international waters during the late 19th century. At this time, seamen and seamanship were quite a rare occurrence, considering the rapid advancement of steam, which offered a faster and more efficient service for both passenger and cargo transport and trade.
The 'Queen Margaret' developed for herself a reputation as being one of the fastest and most beautiful carriers of the 1890s. At 2144 gross tonnes, she was capable of maintaining equal speeds to the 'Muskoka' and 'Oweenee'. She was also a reliable vessel that travelled long distances, as made evident by her frequent world voyages to far afield destinations like Australia, the United States of America, Asia and the Pacific. She was also very large and carried up to 4000 tonnes (almost twice her weight) on an average voyage.
Ship models such as this one act as a legacy for the full-scale version which no longer survives. The 'Queen Margaret' was wrecked at the Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall, United Kingdom in 1913. This particular model is also a fine example of the highly technical skill and detailed craft of model making and the work of the model maker, Captain John Pugh.
Clydesite, "Now on the Clyde: the changing face of Dumbarton", http://www.clydesite.co.uk/articles/dumbarton.asp (Downloaded 20/6/2007)
Keble Chatterton, E., "Sailing Ships and their Story" (New York, 1968)
Lubbock, B., "The Last of the Windjammers" (Glasgow, 1927)
This model of the 'Queen Margaret' was made by Captain John Pugh in Manly in 1936, while the full-scale vessel was built by Messrs A. McMillan & Son Ltd at Dumbarton, Scotland in 1893.
A. McMillan & Son Ltd belonged to one of twenty shipyard companies that operated in Dumbarton, closing in 1930. For its time, it was considered to be a very modern shipyard, producing vessels which were more 1930s-1950s in their form and design than late 19th century. The prevailing shipyard at the time was William Denny & Bros. They ceased operation in 1963.
The full-scale version of the 'Queen Margaret' was built for ownership and use by J. Black & Co in Glasgow, Scotland. She was mainly responsible for transporting cargo such as petroleum, jute, coal, nitrate, barley, wheat and salt between Great Britain and overseas ports at Philadelphia, Calcutta, Boston, New York, Shanghai, San Francisco, Nagasaki, Yokohama and Queenstown. She was also responsible for shipping wool from Australia.
After 20 years in service, the 'Queen Margaret' came to an abrupt end on May 5, 1913 when she became stranded and wrecked on the rocks at The Lizard in Cornwall, England.
This particular model was donated to the Museum by the model maker in 1936.