Regulator clock, used at Sydney Observatory, metal / glass / wood, made by Scientific Clocks Ltd, Sydney, modified by H. F. Pinnock, 1945-1955
This clock provided the seconds pulse for the Sydney Observatory time signal system (85/38). Made by the Scientific Clock Company it was sometimes called the 'Gross' clock after Cecil Gross one of the company's founding members.
Cecil Gross was the chief clock maker at Prouds Limited for 32 years and designed many of the Sydney's clocks. Gross worked on the Customs House clock in 1916 and the Manly Wharf clock in 1918, clocks for Parliament House, Canberra, in 1926, the General Post Office clock in George Street and the "Bob" Stand clock, built for Sydney Cricket Ground and re-erected at North Sydney Oval. Between1935 and 1938 he built the advertising road clocks for Manly, Ashfield, Holroyd, Hurstville and Tempe.
Gross founded the Scientific Clock Company with Laurence Taprell, who had been one of his apprentices, and by 1950 the company was working out of Brookvale. Laurence Taprell continued the business until around 1991 after which it was passed on to his son Peter.
This clock is of national significance as it was an integral part of Australia's time keeping system in the mid-twentieth century. It is also of significance for its association with electrical horology in Australia and one of Sydney's most significant clock and watchmaker's.
Geoff Barker, Assistant Curator, February 2008
Taprell, Laurence, 'The Corso Clock', http://www.manly.nsw.gov.au/IgnitionSuite/uploads/docs/Corso%20Clock%20fact-sheet.pdf, 2005