Column (square), building stone specimen, sandstone, quarried at Robert Saunders Free Stone Quarries and Stone Works, Pyrmont, Sydney, Australia, 1906, and exhibited at the New Zealand International Exhibition, Christchurch, New Zealand, 1907
Quarried at Robert Saunders' Free Stone Quarries and Stone Works, Pyrmont, Sydney, and supplied to the then Technological Museum in 1906. In a letter to the Museum, Robert Saunders states that such stones were "used in varying thicknesses for headstones and other monumental purposes."
In 1906 the Premier of New South Wales requested that the Sydney Technological Museum "should assist in the representation of this State's natural wealth" at the Christchurch, New Zealand, International Exhibition of 1907. The exhibits supplied included samples of New South Wales timbers, essential oils, fishes (models), wool, and Robert Saunders building stones. A column 6ft x 2ft x 15" was supplied for the exhibition, and was sold in New Zealand. This column was provided by the quarry as its replacement for the Museum.