Motorcycle 'Ner-A-Car', 285cc, metal / rubber, Sheffield-Simplex Ltd / Kingston-on-Thames, England, 1924
This motorcycle was patented in America in 1919 by Carl A Neracher and in 1921 the Ner-A-Car Corporation of Syracuse, New York began production.
The Ner-A-Car had a pressed steel frame, with all the mechanism except the cylinder head enclosed, five speed friction drive and hub control steering. Features included: pivot steering, a two stroke engine which drove the rear wheel through a friction disc and secondary frame, the friction disc was moveable across the face of fly wheel, thus providing a variety of gear ratios. The mudguard which shrouded the wheel from lock to lock, keeping the rider relatively clean, was a popular feature.
Ner-A-Cars were produced from 1921 to 1926 and manufactured under license by Sheffield Simplex in the UK from late 1921.
Its low centre of gravity gave the Ner-A-Car exceptional stability and it found a popular up-market niche in England amongst titled ladies and country parsons.