Plate, Canterbury Cathedral, porcelain, painted by John Hugh Plant, designed by John Slater, gilded by Harry Milward, made by Royal Doulton, Burslem, England, 1902-1918
A porcelain plate, decorated with a scene of Canterbury Cathedral. A circular foot ring rises to a concave upper face, with a shallow well, a wide border and indented rim. The well is painted with a scene of Canterbury Cathedral, mainly in brown and mauve, with green and brown bushes in the foreground and blue sky and pale brown and purple clouds in the background. The well is edged in an acid etched band of floral motifs and a single fine band of gold. The border is decorated with an intricate design of scrolls, sprays of leaves and berries, garlands and urns with flowers, all in raised gold. The rim and foot ring are edged in thick gold.
Maker's trademark on base, transfer printed in purple, lion on top of crown surmounting text 'ROYAL DOULTON / ENGLAND' encircling central motif of four interlinked 'D's. Buyer's mark below, transfer printed in purple, text 'CILORN COLLAMORE / & CO / 5th Ave & 30th Street. / New York.' Artist's signature on front, written in brown 'J.H. Plant'. Maker's number impressed on base '1 - 10'. Maker's number on base, written in black 'HB6938 / E4855 / 4'. Name of decoration on base, written in brown 'Canterbury Cathedral'. Gilder's mark on base, written in gold 'HM'. Starburst paper label adhered to back, written in pencil '7/X/X / JHP' and overwritten in black ink 'A2778-520'. Circular paper label adhered to base, printed in brown, with the number written in black ink 'ROYAL DOULTON / - / John Slater Collection No...520'. Rectangular paper label adhered to base, written in black ink 'B144'.