Teapot, neoclassical style, silver / wood, made by Hippolitus Poignand, Calcutta, India, c. 1793-1805, Oxley family collection,
This Anglo-Indian silver teapot, plus teapot stand (A10966) and silver coffee pot (A10965-7), were once part of a large collection accumulated by John Joseph William Molesworth Oxley, his family associates and descendants. Oxley was surveyor-general of New South Wales from 1812 to 1828, and was connected through both marriage and business to various well-known members of early colonial society. Following the death of Oxley┬?s great-granddaughter Eleanor Beatrice Martin Oxley in 1984, the museum purchased from her estate fifty-seven items of Australian, Anglo-Indian, English and Cantonese silver dating from the late 1700s to the early 1900s.
The neoclassical style teapot and stand and the coffee pot were made in India by Hippolitus Poignand, who arrived in Calcutta from England in 1793 and worked there as a jeweller, goldsmith and silversmith until his death in 1805. The links between India and New South Wales during the early colonial period were strong as ships called at Indian ports regularly on the way to the colony. Among his numerous business interests John Oxley acted as agent for several firms including Alexander & Co of Calcutta.
All three pieces of Anglo-Indian silver are engraved with the Oxley family coat of arms. Given their early date, this makes it probable that the pieces once belonged to John Oxley himself. The mixed origins and ages of the Oxley silver collection in its entirety, together with stylistic differences and the various initials represented, seem to indicate that this disparate collection was the result of differing forces ┬? accumulation over the generations and distribution at various times between descendants.
Christina Sumner, Curator Decorative Arts & Design, 1991
┬?Decorative Arts and Design From The Powerhouse Museum┬?, Powerhouse Publishing, p.48
The teapot was made by Hippolitus Poignand in Calcutta, India, 1792-1805.
The stand came from the estate of Miss Eleanor Beatrice Martin Oxley. It was owned by John Joseph William Moleworth Oxley the Surveyor-General of New South Wales 1812-1828.