Wool bale elevator section, wood/ metal, used at Farmers and Graziers Woolstore No 1 373 Wattle St Ultimo, Westinghouse Electric/ Australian Electrical Industries/ Gibson Battle & Co Ltd, England/ Australia, 1910-1924
There are various components on the bale elevator assembly bearing manufacturer's brands.
The elevator was powered by a Westinghouse 3 phase induction electric motor made by Westinghouse in Manchester England. The United States manufacturer Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company was internationalised in 1915 with the organisation of Westinghouse Electric International Company. The Westinghouse Electric Elevator Company was formed in 1928. In Australia Westinghouse electric products were distributed by the Australian Westinghouse Electric Company in Castlereagh St Sydney.
The Magnetic Line starter was made by the Australian Electrical Industries. The control Equipment attached to the electric motor was made by Crompton Parkinson P/L.
It is probable that this elevator assembly and housing was supplied and erected by the machine distributors Gibson Battle. A plate on the second identical elevator assembly reads:
Supplied and Erected
Gibson Battle and Co Ltd
Sydney and Melbourne
Gibson Battle was a major importer of agricultural and mining equipment. It also established workshop in Alexandria and an iron foundry in Waterloo. The company was founded in Sydney in 1883 and expanded to Melbourne in 1912. In 1996 it became part of the transmission division of Engineered Products Group, which was acquired by Transmission Australia in 2006.
The industrial archaeological assessment compiled by Carl Doring and Schwager Brooks and partners suggests two possible installation dates for the lifts: 1910/11; and 1924, coinciding with the extension of the building. The lifts were used until the 1980s.
The lift from which this section comes was used to bring wool bales from any of the lower six floors up to the seventh floor where inspection occurred. The saw tooth roof on this floor maximised the light available for inspectors. It is likely that the elevators were only used for raising bales to the top as there were several simple gravity bale drops for transporting bales back down.