Standard rule/gauge in case, wood/steel/felt, Cary, London, 1890-1920.
Designer unknown. This standard rule is a conventional design for a late nineteenth-century gauge, although it is unusual in that readings of 48" can be taken by using the underside of the gauge's margin. The designer is unknown, though it is most likely the maker, namely, Henry Porter.
It is unlikely that the gauge was made by William Cary (1759-1825), the London-based instrument maker and pupil of Jesse Ramsden (1735-1800). However, Cary's firm was continued by Henry Porter (181, The Strand, London), who inscribed instruments simply as 'Cary'. The 24" measure is typical of a late nineteenth-century style for the instrument, and Porter was making instruments later in the century. Porter was an important instrument maker serving the Admirality, War Office, The Royal Geographic Society, Christs Hospital, Trinity House, and the Swedish and Norwegian Governments.
If the object was made by Henry Porter (see above) then the object is most likely of the period 1890-1920
The standard gauge was owned and used by Mr.G.L. Bonwick, the Mathematics Master at Sydney Grammar School during the 1920s and 1930s. Bonwick was a graduate of the famous Clausthal School of Mining Engineering (Germany). Prior to his appointment at Sydney Grammar School, Bonwick was employed as a metallurgist at the Bewick Moring Mining School (London). In 1931, Sir John Proud, of the Sydney-based Proud's Jewellers' dynasty (est. 1902), was given the standard gauge by his teacher. Sir John Proud eventually passed the measure to James Florance.
see above entry