Pencil drawing, framed panorama of Sydney Harbour, paper/wood/perspex, Louisa Anne Meredith, Australia, 1840
This is a very fine, annotated and highly detailed pencil panorama of Sydney Harbour from Mrs Macquarie's Point. It is finished on unfolded sheets of art paper, presumably from Meredith's sketchbook. The paper stamp is visible on the lower right. It has a modern wood and perspex frame.
To the left of the drawing is Fort Macquarie at the end of Bennelong Point. Behind this there is a detailed drawing of the 'Signal Flagstaff and Battery' of Dawes Point. Behind this, again, Meredith has depicted the tops of several ships' masts and referred to 'Darling Harbour Behind'. The entrance to the Parramatta River is also noted. In this part of the Harbour the artist has drawn several vessels, two of which, the HMS Druid and Herald, are named.
Much of the panorama presents the still bushy expanse of the North Shore with various buildings dotted along the shore and escarpments. Garden Island and Shark Island feature in the centre of the picture. The rocky outcrop of Pinchgut is noted as the site on which a 'fort is now erecting'. This was to be Fort Denison. The lighthouse at South Head is depicted and named.
To the right of the panorama is the ridge of Woolloomooloo Hill with fine villas and windmills. As a member of 'genteel society', Meredith has taken care in the detailing of specific mansions on the Hill which she describes as 'the Regent's Park of Sydney'. The most elaborate villa, Grantham, is described as the 'Tea Cannister Castle'.
The drawing is signed and dated on the lower right; 'L.A. Meredith N.S.W. 1840'.
signed and dated l.l. "L.A. Meredith 1840"