Costume, Mardi Gras, fabric / plastic / metal, Peter Tully, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1990
Costume comprising large shoulder piece, headress, mask, t-shirt, pants, two overshoes, breastplate, handbag, a pair of gloves, pair of armbands, and an apron skirt.
1. The t-shirt is made of purple cotton jersey with a ribbed neck and the short sleeves have been cut to create a fringed effect. White fabric label: 'BLUE JAYS/SIZE TO FIT/M CHEST 90 CM/100% COTTON/MADE IN CHINA'.
2. The trousers are made of black and white vertically striped cotton, straight leg and elastic back waist. They fasten so that each side seam folds over front and button at waist via black plastic buttons and a short length of velcro. Fabric labels: 'ALL COTTON/DO NOT BLEACH/MAYBE TUMBLE/DRIED, WARM IRON', 'Johnsons/UNIFORM SPECIALIST/739 GEORGE STREET. SYDNEY/PHONE 211-3128'.
3. Pair of bright pink nylon jersey wrist length gloves. Attached to each wrist via three small safety pins is a length of purple polyester fur. Label: 100% NYLON/ONE SIZE/MADE IN HONG KONG'.
4. Two overshoes made of polyester fur, one in lime green the other in orange. Secures around the foot via a length of white elastic under the foot and velcro at the back of the heel.
5. Plastic moulded face mask of a monkey's face printed in purple, green, yellow, orange, blue and black. Added orange fluffy beard and added yellow hollogram eyes, black elastic band to secure to head.
6. Two armbands made up of yellow coloured elastic to go around upper arm with a long tassel made of fluro orange plastic with small black squares glued to end of each length.
7. Long blue tassel made of metallic fringed tape (tinsel) secured at top with black gaffa tape and a twisted length of wire.
8. Breastplate made of a circle of plastic pink holographic material with rainbow stripes radiating from centre. A silver holographic button attached to centre of circle. The back is lined with green polyester fur which trims the breastplate. Hanging from the bottom is a tassel of pink metallic plastic chain and purple and gold glitter plastic cylinders. Attached to the top are two lengths of red plastic chain and a blue clip to secure whole around the neck.
9. Wrap around skirt of apron made up of black vinyl yoke lined with black cotton. Stapled to the yoke are various white plastic and vinyl applique shapes and various plastic buttons and metal studs. Attached to the yoke forming the skirt are various lenths of fabric, plastic, polyester hair, in black and white, various small objects including plastic bones, skeletons, beads, a toy iron, hosing all in black white and silver. The skirt fastens with white vinyl ties at centre back.
10. Simple rectangular handbag made of fluro yellow polyester and lined with yellow fabric. Opening at top with no fastenings and two short handles.
11. Very large shoulder piece set on an aluminium harness with black polyester drill straps and padded shoulder straps lined with bright pink polyester fur and lime green foam. The decoration fans out above the shoulder in a semi circle on an aluminium frame. Made up of orange and glitter green plastic and heavily decorated with such things as fur, sequins, holographic and glitter applique, blue tinsel tassels, pink plastic Mickey Mouse ears, pink reflective triangle. Trimmed with yellow and orange plastic fringing, purple polyester fur, blue plastic foliage, pink metallic leaves and small fairy lights (powered by battery packs attached to harness).
12. The headdress is built around a black vinyl cap with elastic chin strap. The cap is decorated with reflective circles and diamentes, the headdress is made up of various decorations including pink plastic 'jewels', plastic skulls, fuzzy leaves, feathers, pink tinsel leaves, holographic shapes, Mickey Mouse ears, polyester fur, fake earrings and fake hair.