Diary, Lawrence Hargrave, Australia/Papua New Guinea, 25 January 1872 - 2 February 1876 (microfiche copy available)
Volume, half-bound in red leatherette, with blue and brown marbled covers, 235mm x 197mm. The volume was formerly sealed at the fore-edge by a red wax and fabric tape seal; the tape has been cut. Manuscript entries in pencil and pen. In his Journal, volume 1 p.50 (P3321-198/21), Hargrave refers to this as his "red-backed diary".
This diary contains the following elements:
a. Brief account of the Maria expedition to New Guinea, covering the period 25 January to 6 March 1872. The Maria, Thomas Stratman master, sailed from Sydney on 20 January 1872, carrying a party of 75 men who were subscribers to the New Guinea Prospecting Expedition to Redscar Bay and the south-east coast of New Guinea. Hargrave was on board as one of the expedition's Committee of Management. On 26 February the Maria struck Bramble Reef near Hinchinbrook Island and sank. Hargrave escaped and landed at Cardwell on 3 March. Only 28 men survived the wreck and the subsequent attacks by Aborigines. (In back of volume)
b. Rough log of the voyage in the barque Burton Stather, 24 August - 15 November 1874 from Sydney to Somerset (Cape York). In his Journal, volume 1 p.50 (P3321 - 198/21), Hargrave says of this voyage: "Next expedition was to Torres Strait in search of information for a new expedition to New Guinea." The log gives date and position only and the mention of an earthquake on the 14 November. Hargrave left Somerset for Sydney on 15 November in the S.S. Gothenberg. (pp.B-1)
c. Diary of voyage on board the Chevert, Captain Charles Edwards, 19 May - 17 September 1875, from Sydney to Torres Strait and Papua New Guinea. Hargrave was employed as engineer. On board were the ship's owner, William Macleay, natural history collector and Captain Arthur A.W. Onslow, hydrographer. Places visited during the voyage included Somerset, Kattow (Katau) River, Warrior Island (now Tudu), Long Island, Bet Island, Cocoanut Island, Darnley Island and Yule Island (where the Italian naturalist Luigi D'Albertis asked Hargrave to join him). The diary mentions encounters with the native peoples (vocabularies are sometimes given); collection of specimens including human skulls, alligators, snakes, and birds and their eggs; and Hargrave's plans to join Octavius Stone's expedition across the south-east peninsula of New Guinea. The diary is illustrated with pencil sketches of native people, their houses and a coastal profile of Yule Island. Hargrave was discharged from the Chevert on 17 September. (pp.1-38)
d. Diary of voyage from Somerset to Port Moresby on the S.S. Ellengowan, Captain Runcie, and explorations from Port Moresby, 18 September 1875 - 2 February 1876. Hargrave had been invited on this expedition by geologist Octavius C. Stone. Among the party were Tasmanian naturalist W. F. Petterd and collector Kendal Broadbent. The party was based at the mission at Annaparta, Port Moresby run by the Reverend William George Lawes, whose family were the first permanent European residents of Papua. The diary records Hargrave's going on patrol with native police at Somerset; his calling on Luigi D'Albertis on Yule Island; the party's excursions from Annaparta to the Laroka River, the Astrolabe Ranges and to the Owen Stanley Ranges; descriptions of the people of Annaparta and Elevara; and Annaparta, Koi-ar-re, La-har-rer and Hoo-lar vocabularies. The expedition sailed from Port Moresby on 26 January, arriving back at Somerset on 2 February. The diary is illustrated with pencil sketches of pig traps, clubs and a man with shield. A rough version of part of this diary (22 November - 15 December) is to be found in 94/23/1-1/2. (pp.38-87)
e. Drawings of a double acting hand drill, spring saw, elevator. The drawings are numbered 57, 58, 59, 60, 77.
In the volume is a book mark printed with the name of Luigi M. D'Albertis and a letter from the London Missionary Society to Hargrave, 14 March 1912, re the ownership of Port Moresby land.
The annotations in the front and back of the volume in blue biro were made by W. Hudson Shaw, 1960s
Earlier dates start at the back of the diary, front of diary starts from August 24 1874.