Glove puppet, 'Doctor', with doctor bag accessory, wood / cloth / metal, designed and made by Vernon Arthur (Bim) Hilder, Castlecrag, New South Wales, Australia, c. 1940
Glove puppet consisting of a hand-carved wooden head and a cloth costume. The puppet's head is painted olive green and is hollowed at the base to allow the insertion of one finger. The face features a painted pair of red spectacles, white buttons for eyes and a crescent-shaped patch of leather adhered to the back of the head for hair. The costume consists of an olive green smock, which doubles as a puppet glove, with white and blue ruffle sewn down the centre front. The puppet has carved wooden hands which are painted olive green with the fingers marked in black. Attached to the right hand is a metal hook from which the puppet's accesssory, a doctor's bag, can be hung. The bag is made from a block of wood and is painted black with the letters 'MD' inscribed in metallic silver paint on the front and back sides. A curved metal handle is attached to the top of the bag.