Photographic print, black & white, large advertising sign for David Jones advertising tennis clothing, designed by Rousel Studios, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, c 1923
Large advertising sign designed by Rousel Studios for the Sydney department store David Jones. The sign, which was flood-lit at night, was erected on a low brick and tile structure on the site formerly occupied by Sydney Girls High School at the corner of Elizabeth, Market and Castlereagh streets and re-developed by David Jones for the opening of its new store in 1927. Across the top of the structure it reads, "1838 AN ERA OF FAITHFUL SERVICE - DAVID JONES LTD 1923". The sign features a picture of an outdoor scene with men and women playing lawn tennis in the foreground and in the distance men playing cricket watched by a group of spectators. Underneath the picture the text reads, "TENNIS - WEAR AT DAVID JONES - SWEATER. 37/6. CREAM SERGE TENNIS TROUSERS. 37/6.". Two cars from the era are parked on the street in front of the structure.
"14" in pencil on reverse.